Wednesday 25 January 2012

Interiors UK 2012, NEC,Birmingham

I went to this event last year too. Back then, it was my first experience of a trade show. I don’t think I took much in I was so stunned at the vastness of it all! This year, I went with a bit more knowledge and some questions, I think I got more from it this time around – yay!
Spanning five huge halls at the NEC this event is one of a kind. So many beautiful products available. I wish photography had been allowed! Sadly, it wasn’t so check out this video instead.
The main points of interest to me were halls 1, 2 and 3: Design Elegance, Fabric, Contemporary Design, Décor and Lighting.
Each hall had a specially designed entrance, styled by Diana Civil, best known for her styling and interiors journalism.
UBM, (2012) Signature Spaces, Interiors UK Show Catalogue 2012, p.8
“With a unique twist on the British Heritage theme throughout, each hall has also been given its own individual trend. These are not just entrances, but areas of inspiration and creativeness…” 1

The Mary & House of Fraser retail showcase in Hall 4 showcased some promising up and coming designers. Such talent! “…a fantastic opportunity for new and up-and-coming product designers: to pitch their ideas to Mary Portas’ business partner, Peter Cross. Successful applicants will win the chance to have their products or ideas sold or showcased in the Mary shop within House of Fraser. ”2

“The fact that ALL Portas pitchers will be on @houseoffaser shop floors proves the level of talent at @interiors_UK” https://twitter.com/#!/interiors__UK WOW! Congratulations to all the pitchers – what an achievement. I’ll be looking out for you on future visits to HoF.
Peter Cross, Mary Portas’ business partner was speaking in the Seminar theatre today on ‘How to Lead and Complete in Retail in 2012’. I saw his seminar at last years show, an excellent speaker.
Ptolemy Mann, http://significantcolour.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/ptolemy-mann-fabric-pavilion-at-interiors-2012-nec-birmingham/

Another speaker I would like to have seen is Ptolemy Mann speaking today on ‘The Architecture of Cloth, Colour and Space’. Having researched her after a recommendation by my tutor last year I think this would have been an interesting seminar. Mann’s specially design fabric for Interiors UK, used in the Fabric Pavillian and Champagne Bar in Hall 1 was lovely! – She was at Top Drawer too.
So as well as all this I picked up some ideas for new products to apply my designs to and I am in the process of researching these. Watch this space….

1 UBM, (2012) Signature Spaces, Interiors UK Show Catalogue 2012, p.8
2 www.interiorsuk.com/page.cfm/Link=135/t=m/goSection=11

Further Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment